For Host Family
Why become a host family?
You will discover the joy of having more flexibility with the kids in the mornings, more time for family's regular activities, etc. While living with a family, an Au pair participates not only in childcare but also in other related activities, ranging from light housework to babysitting, or even helps older children develop particular skills (such as learning a new language or sport).
You will get a new family member who will assist you in taking care of the children and will participate in family life. Au pair will follow and get the kids to/from school /kindergarten, play with them and help to do home tasks, help with housework
Joining the Au pair Program will enrich your family life in many different ways. It will make your life more exciting, interesting and funny.
How much does it cost to find the right Au pair for your family?
To ensure the highest possible satisfaction we include a "three months guarantee", which means that you will be offered a new Au pair without additional charge, in case either party (the Au pair or the host family) wishes to terminate their stay. If such situation occurs, we will work effectively for a quick solution.
What is an Au pair?
Being an Au pair for a family, and in turn, a guest in their home, the Au pair tends to participate in many of the family activities and is treated as part of the family. Thus, participating in an Au pair program can, therefore, be a very exciting and interesting experience for both the Au pair and the family.In accordance with the provisions of the European Council's working hours, an Au pair is set to a maximum of 25 hours per week, in any case not more than 5 hours / day (occasional babysitting is possible one-two times per week). Working hours shall be arranged so that the au-pair should have at least one free day besides Sunday and full opportunity to take part in liturgical services. Au pair will have the opportunity to attend Swedish language courses and leisure activities.
There is no registration fee and registration is optional. However, we suggest you to register and put all the information you consider as necessary about your family. It is recommended to attach a letter in your profile, where you describe your family life, leisure and interests and add some pictures. Family profile and pictures will be sent to Au pairs only after your approval.We organize telephone interview between host families and Au pairs. In most cases, you will be provided with references from the current or previous employer of the candidates (we can also check the references upon your request)
We highly recommend both Au pair and host-families to discuss all the details before making the agreement. Please, be honest and realistic. Remember that she/he will be a part of your family life during the whole year. Communication and openness – these are the key words before and during Au pair’s stay.Further, we will help you with the necessary documentation and guidance in the process for the work and residence permit. activities.
What if the deal does not work anyway?
If things still do not work out, we do our best to find a new Au pair for your family. We offer 3 months guarantee service, which means that you will not be charged extra for new the replacement (if you decided to get a new Au pair within first 3 months).If the au-pair wishes to change host family, she/he must apply for a new work permit. Au-pair may not start as an Au pair for a new family until she/he has received a new permit.
Requirements for the Host Families:
- Host family can have only one Au pair at a time. There must be one or more minor children in the host family and Au pair has to be treated as a part of the family.
- Host family is supposed to speak Swedish daily and represent Swedish culture to the Au pair.
- Host family must provide Au pair with the chance to learn Swedish language. An Au pair working schedule must be organize the way, which give her/him the opportunity to attend language classes.
- Host family is required to provide board and lodging for the Au pair and give to her/his disposal a separate suitable room. Besides free food and lodging, the host family will pay the salary (pocket money) for the Au pair amounting to at least 3.500 SEK per month before taxes.
Requirements for the Au pairs:
- Age: between 18 and 30 years (both years included). In addition, the Au pair must be able to show that she/he has a distinct interest in or use for Swedish language studies and also she/he could speak and understand English or Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, German.
- It is usually a requirement that the applicant has not previously had any Au pair’s stays in other western European countries, as this will reduce the chances of being granted a permit in Sweden.
- The main purpose of the Au pairs' stay in Sweden is to study the Swedish language and to broaden his/her knowledge of Swedish culture. The Au pair is required to attend a language courses.
What does it cost to have an Au pair?
The host family shall ensure that the Au pair is registered with Skatterverket (www.forsakringskassan.se)
The Au pair’s salary is agreed in the contract and does not depend on the duties (like number of children to take care of etc).
Information about Swedish education courses
http://www.si.se Private schools and other institutions offer evening classes in several languages, including Swedish and English.
The following links will come in handy:
At SFI Swedish for immigrants schools (Svenska för Invandrare) you can get free Swedish lessons if you have a residence permit and a personal identity number:
Social Insurance in Sweden
How long does it take for Au pair to come?
The same also applies if the Au pair’s stay terminated because the contract expires at the agreed time. If the Au pair wants to change host family, she/he has to apply for a new permit.